WE JUST DON’T GET IT…
Gun people, is this really how you want to live? Every week hearing about a new shooting at a school, a church, a movie theater, a concert, or a place of business. WE GET the need for personal protection, WE GET the need to go shoot animals to eat their meat (I guess) … but what is it these countries in Asia, the UK and even Romania have figured out? Why don’t we EVER hear about mass shootings in these countries?
A LOT of it is mental health, satisfaction with life, parental upbringing, a lack of a huge gun lobby, and a lack of ultra-conservative, poorly regulated media outlets and online nutjobs. But a lot of it is also simply ACCESS to purchasing military-style weapons. So here are our ideas on guns:
- Guns should be classified into 3 CATEGORIES:
- Class A: Personal protection (handguns)
- Class B: Hunting (non-automatic rifles)
- Class C: Military (Assault rifles designed for combat)
- PRIVATE CITIZENS (non military or law enforcement) should not be allowed to carry Class C weapons outside of their own private property.
- GUNS should be treated like cars – requiring a license (with criteria and a test to obtain), registration, taxes and insurance. ALL SALES must be registered with states and tracked in a federal database.
- THE 2ND AMENDMENT was written in 1791 with the intent of citizens being able to arm themselves if they wanted to form a militia to rebel against the government. That concept is absurd in the 21st century. The United States has five branches of Armed Forces with approximately 1.3 million active-duty troops, with another 865,000 in reserve. Our military has tanks, fighter jets, drones and advanced technology. A little ‘militia’ with AR-15’s isn’t going to stop them.
- GPS-BASED ZONES should be established for the use and activation of hunting weapons. Why would a hunting weapon need to be activated in an area where there’s no hunting? (like churches, schools, and concerts).
- TECHNOLOGY (fingerprint, GPS, barcoding) should be mandated by lawmakers for all new guns manufactured.
- TAXES on guns and ammunition sales should go toward mental health and quality of life programs so people won’t (a) feel the need to possess or purchase a military style gun and (b) won’t go nuts and decide to shoot dozens of innocent people because they’re disgruntled for some reason.
MORE READING HERE:
More detailed policy ideas will be up to the candidates. Back to Ideas.